Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Yes We Can, Yes We Did and Yes We Will

I am back to my healthy self again while continuing a round of antibiotics for the severe cold I had for nearly two weeks.

I am also feeling optimistic after the inauguration yesterday. Mind you I do not think of President Obama as anything greater than human. But also believe there is a renewed sense of hope and hopefully a committment to bettering this country. . But he will make mistakes and do some good things as well so we'll just have to wait and see how it goes.I honestly did not think I would see an African-American president this early in my lifetime

The Oscar nominations are announced tomorrow and I am hoping some of my faves make it -- my top 5 films of the year are:
The Dark Knight (the first time I put such a film at the top of my list)
Milk
Frost/Nixon
The Visitor
Slumdog Millionaire

I also will be happy to see Heath Ledger get a nomination and possibly be the second actor to win an Oscar posthumously (after Peter Finch's Best Actor win for Network)

As tomorrow is also the first anniversary of Ledger's death I may watch Brokeback Mountain and The Dark Knight again in tribute. Or at least The Dark Knight. (I am also thinking of watching There Will Be Blood which earned Daniel Day-Lewis the Oscar last year for Best Actor.)

I was a big fan of Heath Ledger's before he died and honestly think his performance is worth the win dead or alive. It will just be sadder this way.

I also hope The Dark Knight gets nominated and wins though I have a feeling it won't even get nominated. In fact I am guessing that only Frost/Nixon and Slumdog Millionaire from my list will be nominated with the latter taking the win.

I have yet to see The Wrestler or Revolutionary Road, though I am looking forward to both of them.

I did see a couple of less than steller movies with friends this week: My Bloody Valentine 3D and Bride Wars. Truth be told I enjoyed the 3D effects of the former and chuckled a little during the latter. However, many of the films released just a few months ago demonstrate why this is such a great season for film.

I will likely be on IMDB the night of the Oscars posting with the other film nerds.


Until next time --
M

No comments:

Post a Comment